Xavi praises England
Spain playmaker Xavi says he is an admirer of England’s midfield stars Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard.
SPAIN playmaker Xavi says he is an admirer of England’s midfield stars Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard.
Barcelona’s Xavi – who was named by Wayne Rooney as his favourite player recently – believes his England counterparts could fire them to World Cup triumph in South Africa.
He told www.betfairfootball.com: “Lampard and Gerrard, for me, are number one players. I like the way they play because they see football very well, and they score goals and are always prepared to shoot.
“I like them because they play in my position, I notice them more and they are fantastic players.”
Euro 2008 champions Spain are the favourites to triumph in South Africa, but Xavi believes his country and England are in the same position having consistently underachieved at past tournaments.
He added: “England for me is like Spain. They can be one of the favourites in the World Cup but previously they haven’t done much. I think the favourites are the teams who have won it previously.
- 1 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 2 New cafe toasts successful first week
- 3 World War Two-themed holiday accommodation plans at former airfield
- 4 Harper and El Mizouni made available for loan
- 5 Police called to anti-vaccine demonstration at Suffolk pharmacy
- 6 Patrols 'throughout the night' following dispersal order in Suffolk town
- 7 'Two suspicious individuals' spotted on primary school roof
- 8 New state-of-the-art army attack helicopters undergo testing in Suffolk
- 9 Long delays on A12 after overturned tractor trailer
- 10 Fire crews called to dog locked inside car in north Suffolk
“England has possibilities, in the players, as well as having (Fabio) Capello. He has demonstrated he is a very good coach wherever he has gone. With Real Madrid he won two leagues and did well in Italy too. The coach is good and the players are