Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 18°C

min temp: 13°C

Search

Colchester: Castle museum due to re-open in May following £4m redevelopment

PUBLISHED: 14:42 05 February 2014 | UPDATED: 14:42 05 February 2014

COPYRIGHT, 2007

Colchester Castle will re-open to the public on May 2 following a £4million refurbishment, it has been announced.

The Castle museum, closed since March 2013, has undergone a major redevelopment programme, which was made possible through a £3.2million Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) grant, and further support coming from the EU Norman Connection, Colchester Borough Council, Arts Council, Roman Wall Society and the friends of Colchester Museums.

The refurbished museum will offer improved access and interpretation of Colchester Castle’s fascinating collections and histories.

Considered to be of national and international significance, it was once home to the Temple to the Emperor Claudius who made Colchester the capital of Roman Britain in AD43.

After its destruction by Queen of the Iceni’s Boudica, the Normans recognised the significance of the site and chose it to build a status castle for William the Conqueror.

The building has also been a Royal Residence, a jail, a base for Mathew Hopkins, the ‘Witchfinder General’, in 1645, and from 1860 it has been in use as Colchester’s main museum housing collections from prehistory to the Civil War.

Head of the Heritage Lottery Fund for the East of England, Robyn Llewellyn, said: “Colchester Castle is one of the finest surviving Norman buildings in Britain, a Scheduled Ancient Monument and Grade I listed. We are delighted to see the opening of the refurbished museum in sight, and look forward to the reinterpretation of some the most fascinating stories in our Island’s history.”

Comments have been disabled on this article.

A 50-year-old man from Cambridgeshire who was arrested after a fatal crash on the A140 on Tuesday will appear in court tomorrow to face dangerous driving charges.

Emergency services including firefighters, police and paramedics are at the scene of a serious crash in Lowestoft.

An Essex father who threw a corrosive liquid at a teenager outside a popular restaurant in Walton-on-the-Naze will now face years behind bars.

A jealous Suffolk man who fired a BB gun at a car after finding text messages from the vehicle’s owner on his partner’s phone has been jailed for ten months.

A group of men from London are facing drugs charges and money laundering offences after a police chase on the A14 at the weekend.

A former geography teacher from Essex says that schoolchildren should be taught more about what to do if a natural disaster occurs after getting caught up in the earthquake which hit Kos last week.

Drivers heading home from work in west Suffolk this evening could face long delays on the A11 after a lorry tipped over on the southbound carriageway near Barton Mills.

Most read

Eating Out in the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Eating Out
supplement

View

Visit the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Visit the Broads
supplement

View

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24