Ageing silos to get colourful makeover
SIX ageing silos at a Suffolk paint factory are undergoing a colourful 21st Century makeover.
The huge tanks are part of the AkzoNobel plant in Needham Road, Stowmarket, and have been part of the town’s skyline for almost 40 years.
Over the past couple of months the rusty beige silos have been under wraps, and will remain so until October, but behind the hard plastic sheeting and web of scaffolding, they are being transformed.
When they are finally unveiled the six silos will add a huge splash of colour to the town, one purple, one red, one yellow, one green, one indigo and one turquoise.
The site manufactures products top paint brand Dulux so the colourful �750,000 makeover is entirely appropriate.
You may also want to watch:
The company hopes it will be a “bright and bold statement” from a large local employer to enhance the surroundings for staff and residents.
Daniela Erdmann, the site manager, said the refurbishment was on schedule and should be finished by October but could be unveiled even sooner.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 2 Portsmouth 0-4 Ipswich Town: Blues deliver Cook's biggest win as boss
- 3 Family pay tribute to former Suffolk headteacher who has passed away
- 4 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 5 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 6 'Our most complete performance of the season' - Cook on 4-0 win at Portsmouth
- 7 Former Suffolk school leaders found guilty of professional misconduct
- 8 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 4-0 win at Pompey
- 9 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 10 A14 roundabout lanes remain closed as burst water main repaired
She said: “The project will make sure that the silos are going to function for the coming years. It also secures production capacity, which means we can ensure future employment in the local community.”
As with most constructions of advancing years, refurbishment is a regular requirement, but transforming such enormous silos into a bright feature on the horizon is no mean feat.
Besides erecting the scaffolding and plastic sheeting, the project involves ridding platforms of dirt, removing cladding, grit-blasting to get down to the metal surface, repairing the smaller corroded areas and pressure washing – all before the application of four coats of AkzoNobel speciality industrial paint.