Braintree Town bow out of FA Trophy with defeat to Lincoln City

Braintree's Matt Paine, left, in action against Lincoln last season

Braintree's Matt Paine, left, in action against Lincoln last season - Credit: Archant

Braintree Town missed out on the chance to reach the last 16 of the FA Trophy, missing out on £6,000 in the process, after a 3-1 home defeat to Skrill Premier Division rivals Lincoln City.

Iron began the game well enough and took a first half lead thanks to the prolific Sean Marks.

However, the Imps, who won 3-0 at the Amlin Stadium back in March, equalised through Chris Sharp’s 58th-minute strike and clinched a dramatic victory thanks to two goals in stoppage time, from Luke Foster and an unfortunate own goal from goalkeeper Nik Hamann.

Both sides had chances to win the game and the final score arguably flattered the visitors a little with Foster heading home Tom Miller’s throw and Bohan Dixon’s long-range effort hitting the back of the net following contact with the crossbar and latterly, Hamann.

The Imps had the first chance of note, Sean Newton making progress down the left but his centre was blazed over the top by Miller.

Alan Devonshire’s men delivered an immediate riposte but City goalkeeper Paul Farman comfortably saved skipper Kenny Davis’ effort.

The hosts took the lead through the prolific Marks in the 21st minute. Lincoln were unable to deal with a deep free-kick from Town’s half by Dean Wells and after the ball dropped kindly to Marks, he made no mistake from 12 yards.

Most Read

The Imps put up a gutsy fightback and thought they had levelled five minutes later but Sharp’s effort which hit the back of the net was ruled out for offside.

Hamann was then on hand to make the final save of the half, getting his body behind Sheridan’s shot.

Miller’s throws were causing problems in the Iron penalty box as the second half started with Lincoln on the front foot but it was from Newton’s good work from which the Imps equalised.

The full-back’s accurate ball was lofted into the danger area and Sharp, starting a second month on loan from Hereford headed the ball home.

The hosts looked for a way to regain the lead and after Farman saved Sam Habergham’s shot, substitute Jordan Cox, on for Davis, met a long throw into the Imps’ box but his header drifted over.

After an injury to the visitors’ Marlon Jackson, Nick Wright entered play and within a couple of minutes, the Imps had taken the lead.

Newton won a throw which was hauled in by Miller and Foster was in the right place at the right time to head home his first goal of the season.

That was Miller’s last contribution of the game as he limped off to be replaced by Danny Rowe.

Town desperately tried to launch a late attack on Lincoln’s goal but after the Imps stood firm, Sharp was released down the middle, only to be denied by Hamann.

However, the ball was kept alive by Wright who picked out Dixon whose shot hit the woodwork before crashing against Hamann and landing in the back of the net.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter