Chelsea boss slams Man City’s “unfair” riches
Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas has criticised Manchester City’s “unfair” transfer policy after the club landed Sergio Aguero for �35 million.
The Argentinian, who is now City’s most expensive player, is the latest multi-million pound addition into City’s star-studded team that won the FA Cup last season.
Meanwhile, Chelsea have been relatively quiet over the summer despite their title rivals investing heavily in new talent.
Villas-Boas believes City’s financial riches has given them an unreasonable advantage in the transfer market. He said: “I think it’s unfair. It’s pretty clear they’re building a squad for the title.
“They can now threaten the league. I think Man United as the title holders will be a reference for everybody but you can see the amount of activity Manchester City have had in the market.”
You may also want to watch:
His remarks will come as a surprise to many football fans who will remember when Chelsea held financial domination over English football before Manchester City were bought out.
The London club benefited from the riches of Roman Abramovich as they broke the English transfer record twice.
- 1 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 2 Town co-owner Bakay on future of Portman Road name
- 3 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 4 Empty shelves as 'pingdemic' takes its toll on Suffolk's supply chain
- 5 Sought-after Felixstowe beach hut sells for £88K
- 6 'I am very, very excited' - Town teenager Gibbs completes Norwich move
- 7 Crash between two motorbikes
- 8 69 homes for Suffolk village delayed over 'bland' design
- 9 Bin lorry driver ran over colleague's leg in Kesgrave
- 10 Town Transfer Talk: Latest on Coulson, Crooks, Bishop and Downes
It was first broken in 2006 when AC Milan’s Andriy Shevchenko joined Chelsea for �30.8m and then again only last January when Fernando Torres moved from Liverpool to Chelsea for a reported �50m.
Chelsea are set to play Aston Villa in the final of the Barclays Asia Trophy on Saturday night. Their first Premier League game is away to Stoke City on the 14th August 2011.