Daniel Sparkes hit a hat-trick as Braintree Town crush Torquay 5-1
- Credit: Archant
Daniel Sparkes smashed a hat-trick as Braintree Town condemned Torquay United to their biggest home league defeat in almost 20 years on Tuesday night.
Sparkes scored either side of a John Campbell equaliser to put the visitors ahead at half time.
And he completed his hat-trick with a left-footed shot before Matt Paine and Ryan Peters secured a win for Braintree on their first visit to Torquay.
The Gulls had not lost as heavily at home since going down to a club-record 8-1 loss to Scunthorpe in October 1995.
Braintree moved into 15th place in the Conference, with the Gulls dropping to 17th.
You may also want to watch:
The Iron now face Telford next Tuesday.
- 1 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 2 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 3 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 4 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 5 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 6 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 7 Town bosses on 'Chequebook FC' nickname, Premier League timeframe and more
- 8 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 9 Town Transfer Talk: Ten in, but how many more are on the way?
- 10 Woodbridge 'cheese wedge' site goes back up for sale