Di Matteo sacked by West Brom
WEST Brom have sacked Roberto Di Matteo and placed him on gardening leave following yesterday’s 3-0 defeat to Manchester City.
The result was the Baggies’ 13th defeat in 18 games in all competitions and left them only two points clear of the Barclays Premier League relegation zone.
First-team coach Michael Appleton will take over on a caretaker basis while a replacement is sought.
Di Matteo’s assistant Eddie Newton and head of sports science Ade Mafe have left the club as part of today’s move.
Chairman Jeremy Peace said: “This has been a tough decision but we, as a board, believe it is the right one to give the club the best possible chance of remaining in the Barclays Premier League.
You may also want to watch:
“Our poor sequence of results stretches back more than three months and there has been little sign of it coming to an end.”
- 1 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 2 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 3 'I've got goosebumps... I've been blown away' - Town owner Johnson excited for first Portman Road game
- 4 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 5 Ipswich Town 2-1 Fleetwood Town: Celina's late, late winner seals it for Blues
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Fleetwood win
- 7 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 8 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Suffolk
- 9 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 10 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'