Essex round-up: Braintree, Chelmsford, Witham, Heybridge Swifts, and Maldon & Tiptree all in action
- Credit: contributed
Sixteenth-placed Braintree Town can go a long way to hitting manager Alan Devonshire’s 50-point safety target at Cressing Road, today.
Iron host struggling Alfreton Town in the Vanarama Premier, the Derbyshire side in the relegation zone on goal difference.
Braintree could hand a debut to 20-year-old striker Bernard Mensah, who signed on-loan from Championship side Watford until the end of the season this week.
Mensah, who is under contract at Vicarage Road until next summer, scored twice in nine games during a similar spell with the Essex side last season.
Mensah joined Braintree’s Conference rivals Barnet on a two-month loan in November, playing nine times and scoring once.
You may also want to watch:
In Vanarama South, Chelmsford City travel to Maidenhead United, who have signed Braintree striker Charlie Strutton on loan.
The Clarets were losers last time out, going down 2-1 in the derby clash at Concord Rangers on Tuesday night.
- 1 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 2 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 3 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 4 Two Suffolk homes 30 miles apart struck by lightning
- 5 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Villa set to recall Barry in January
- 6 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 7 Additional measures including face masks to be reintroduced to Suffolk schools
- 8 Mike Bacon: Starting to walk the walk, I'm liking the way we move
- 9 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 10 'We were shamed'... Pompey boss Cowley offers no excuses
City’s Mark Hughes cancelled out Steve King’s opener before Taylor Miles’ long-range strike secured the points for the hosts.
Witham Town, in the Ryman Premier relegation zone, travel to league leaders Maidstone United today, hoping to put a dent in the hosts’ promotion aspirations and give their own survival chances a boost.
Garry Kimble’s men picked up what could prove to be a crucial point in midweek, John Watson scoring in the final minute to rescue a point against Canvey Island and cancel out George Sykes’ opener at Spa Road.
Witham have lost eight of their last dozen league games and are a point outside the relegation zone ahead of today’s game.
In Ryman North, 18th-placed Heybridge Swifts, managed by Cliff Akurang, host Cheshunt in 19th position and are without a win in three.
Elsewhere, Maldon & Tiptree Town, unbeaten in three games, go to Soham Town Rangers.
They held Needham Market, 1-1, at home, a fortnight ago.