Hundreds of teams enjoy the Stowupland Big 5-a-side
- Credit: Archant
Hundreds of young footballers have been taking part in Suffolk’s largest 5-a-side tournament over the weekend.
Organised by Stowupland Falcons, the event has seen 173 teams entered, ranging in age from under 7’s to under 16’s. More than 3,000 people have either watched or taken part in the action, with teams coming from all over Suffolk as well as Norfolk, Essex and Cambridgeshire.
Peter Mayhew, one of the organisers of the two-day spectacular, said: “It’s gone very well - we’ve had lots of compliments and sold out on the barbecue, so we must be doing something right!
It’s the main fundraiser for the club, so very important to us - it means we can charge low subs and make football more accessible to everyone who wants to play.
The level of play is very good too – we’ve had scouts from Ipswich, Norwich and Cambridge United all here.
You may also want to watch:
I’d like to say a big thank-you to all the teams for participating and we hope to see them again next year!”
- 1 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 2 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 3 Bishop on his 'brutal, almost disrespectful' Ipswich exit, not fitting into Cook's system and why he's 'absolutely loving' life at Lincoln
- 4 ‘Inadequate’ private hospital closes after patients ‘put at prolonged risk of harm’
- 5 Road outside Ipswich closed after two cars collide
- 6 Hits, misses, an 'unseen' suspension, a few goals and two still without clubs - how the departed Ipswich players are faring ahead of Bishop reunion
- 7 Former Town winger Finidi George gets first senior manager job
- 8 Town face 'red tape' wait over Celina
- 9 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 10 Cook on whether he's missing the influence of Richardson