Iron aim to sign ex-Ipswich youngster Jamie Griffiths for Grimsby clash
BRAINTREE Town are hoping to sign former Ipswich Town youngster Jamie Griffiths before the weekend, allowing him to be part of the Iron squad for Saturday’s trip to play-off chasing Grimsby Town.
However, Town will not be re-signing AFC Wimbledon striker Brendan Kiernan, whose one-month loan spell came to an end after Saturday’s 2-1 home victory over Kettering in Blue Square Bet Premier.
Kiernan made four appearances for Town, failing to score, after moving from Terry Brown’s League Two side.
Griffiths, meanwhile, left Ipswich just before the new year having spent time out on loan at Plymouth and a period on trial at Gillingham.
Midfielder Griffiths has been training with Alan Devonshire’s side and featured in a practice match against League Two Southend at the Amlin Stadium on Tuesday.
You may also want to watch:
“Brendan has gone back to Wimbledon but we are hoping to sort something out with Jamie which would allow him to join the squad for the trip to Grimsby at the weekend,” said Town assistant manager Keith Rowland.
“The loan deal with Wimbledon, for Brendan, was one that suited both parties while with Jamie, we are prepared to give him a go and let him prove to us that he is good enough.
- 1 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 2 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 3 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 4 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 5 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 6 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 7 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 8 Town Transfer Talk: Ten in, but how many more are on the way?
- 9 Woodbridge 'cheese wedge' site goes back up for sale
- 10 Town bosses on 'Chequebook FC' nickname, Premier League timeframe and more
“It is hard at this time of the season though and he does lack match fitness but he is a good size with a good left foot and he is a player I think can give it a go.
“It would be great for the kid if it could work out for him as he is a local boy and has a good attitude.”