Iron aim to sign ex-Ipswich youngster Jamie Griffiths for Grimsby clash
BRAINTREE Town are hoping to sign former Ipswich Town youngster Jamie Griffiths before the weekend, allowing him to be part of the Iron squad for Saturday’s trip to play-off chasing Grimsby Town.
However, Town will not be re-signing AFC Wimbledon striker Brendan Kiernan, whose one-month loan spell came to an end after Saturday’s 2-1 home victory over Kettering in Blue Square Bet Premier.
Kiernan made four appearances for Town, failing to score, after moving from Terry Brown’s League Two side.
Griffiths, meanwhile, left Ipswich just before the new year having spent time out on loan at Plymouth and a period on trial at Gillingham.
Midfielder Griffiths has been training with Alan Devonshire’s side and featured in a practice match against League Two Southend at the Amlin Stadium on Tuesday.
“Brendan has gone back to Wimbledon but we are hoping to sort something out with Jamie which would allow him to join the squad for the trip to Grimsby at the weekend,” said Town assistant manager Keith Rowland.
“The loan deal with Wimbledon, for Brendan, was one that suited both parties while with Jamie, we are prepared to give him a go and let him prove to us that he is good enough.
- 1 Travellers pitch up at popular park in east Suffolk town
- 2 Suffolk villagers say 70 homes development creating 'dust storm'
- 3 Tributes paid to 'very nice couple' found dead at home
- 4 'He'd be dead' - mum's terror after wave drags her and baby down beach
- 5 Keogh: Why I've joined Town and what I'm here to do
- 6 Police attending 'incident' near town centre
- 7 Man bitten by dog during fight in east Suffolk street
- 8 Woman in her 80s dies after being pulled from the sea
- 9 Here's what Town fans are saying about Keogh signing
- 10 Holiday business owner fined over £5k after 'excessive waste' found at site
“It is hard at this time of the season though and he does lack match fitness but he is a good size with a good left foot and he is a player I think can give it a go.
“It would be great for the kid if it could work out for him as he is a local boy and has a good attitude.”