King desperate to reward Fabio’s faith
LEDLEY King wants to repay the faith shown in him by England manager Fabio Capello.
King is likely to partner John Terry for England’s first match against the USA after Rio Ferdinand was ruled out of the World Cup with a knee injury and the Tottenham man revealed he feels indebted to Capello for his international opportunity.
King hardly trains with the rest of the squad due to longstanding knee problems, spending most of his time in the gym and the swimming pool but Capello is prepared to take a risk on him.
“I felt awkward at first but I couldn’t have asked for more,” revealed King. “He’s (Capello) been brilliant.
“It’s just a different situation. I’ve not been involved with England and they’ve not seen how I work throughout the week.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s been a bit of a shock to the players - and maybe the staff - but the manager has been brilliant.
“He’s told me to do what I would normally do. He’s not a manager who is going to show favouritism to anyone.
- 1 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 2 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 3 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 4 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 5 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 6 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 7 A140 closed in both directions after two vehicle crash
- 8 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 9 Over 4,000 people test positive for Covid with cases continuing to rise
- 10 'The lads make it easy... I don't fear those decisions' - Cook on his selection headaches
“You have to perform and do the right things. It was flattering that he showed great faith in me.
“For him to show that faith in me is a great compliment and I’m hopeful I can repay that.”