Why I Love Suffolk: Sam Denny Hodson
- Credit: Archant
I was lucky to have had my parents move to Suffolk seven years ago. I lost my Mum last year but her 'happy place' was Southwold and I have many memories of having lunch and strolling round the town with her. Mum loved shopping and a glass of Champagne...and Southwold offers both in abundance.
There is a perfect view of the Southwold lighthouse from my younger son's bedroom window, and when I look at the lighthouse I think that my boys have been looking at it since they were tiny...and now they're 21, 18 and 17.
This changes, but as I recently took up paddleboarding, it's currently Bawdsey. If I want fish and chips on the beach (and who doesn't?) then I head to Aldeburgh.
- 1 Is this tearoom near Ipswich one of Suffolk’s best-kept secrets?
- 2 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 3 Plans for two drive-through takeaways in Suffolk town
- 4 New landlord hopes to make Suffolk pub 'centre' of village community
- 5 The former Ipswich players looking for new clubs this summer
- 6 Woman in hospital with life-threatening injuries after serious A143 crash
- 7 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 8 Town boss McKenna adds ex-Manchester United player to coaching staff
- 9 New landlords take over award-winning pub and brewery in Suffolk village
- 10 Revealed: The top serious road crash hotspots in Suffolk
I've loved all the towns I've lived in in Suffolk...Halesworth, Southwold but now I'm firmly ensconced in Woodbridge where my home and my shop is. I'm really proud of our town and the many independent shops and restaurants we have....plus the wonderful river walks and that we have an independent cinema. Long may they all succeed.
The Aldeburgh Literary Festival is a yearly highlight for me. What Mary and Johnny (owners of the Aldeburgh Book Shop) have created is world class and we are so lucky to have it.
With New Street Market I created the emporium of delights I'd always dreamed of finding. This is the home of my clothing brand, Homespun which we sell alongside other international fashion brands and my restaurant, Canteen. This, together with an array of homewares and plants, means there's something for everyone. I shop at all the other independent stores such as Vanil and The Merchants Table in Woodbridge.
I'm a big fan of In da Cottage in Fram where Richard and Rob curate a great array of vintage pieces for the home. I've shopped at Collen & Clare since I moved to Suffolk and am in awe of all that Vanessa Collen has achieved.
Place to eat
We have always celebrated special family events and birthdays at The Ufford Crown where the food and welcome are consistently great. Lately, like the rest of Suffolk, I've enjoyed having the L'Escargot experience in Aldeburgh as I used to visit their London restaurant for years.
I love The Anchor in Woodbridge which is a great cosy local place to eat and also The Anchor in Walberswick which was always our choice for lunch after taking the kids to the beach.