1,500 hoverboards - the must-have gadget this Christmas - seized in Felixstowe and Ipswich

A hover board seized by trading standards officers

A hover board seized by trading standards officers - Credit: Archant

Trading standards are urging people to be vigilant this Christmas, after a batch of one of the most sought after gadgets this year was seized.

Last week, officers seized 14 ‘hoverboards’ from a shop in Ipswich town centre, which were on sale at a ‘bargain’ price of £270.

But with no safety fuse, a two-pronged plug and no manufacturer or supplier details, the boards were deemed to breach health and safety regulations.

The seizure follows a major crackdown on counterfiet and unsafe goods, after nearly 1,500 hoverboards from nine different consignments were stopped at the Port of Felixstowe for infringements on the safety of the charger.

Sarah Stamp, Suffolk County Council’s cabinet member for communities, said: “Suffolk Trading Standards work hard throughout the year to ensure our residents are safe. These interventions, by the officers monitoring sales on our high streets and the imports team working at the Port of Felixstowe, demonstrate the vital role played by officers in protecting people, across the UK, from unsafe products.


You may also want to watch:


“There has been an increase in the number of incidents being reported faulty electrical goods causing fires, particularly cheap, unbranded and fake chargers – many of which fail to meet UK safety regulations.”

The gadgets have become hot property thins Christmas, featuring in gadget retailer Red 5’s list of top 10 most popular items this festive season.

Most Read

The popularity of the Back to the Future films, where Marty McFly travels to October 26, 2015 in the second instalment of the series, is also thought to be influential in its popularity.

Suffolk Trading Standards has issued advice to shoppers to make sure any hoverboards they buy have the three-pin-plug, importer and manufacturer information, instructions in English, and carry the ‘CE’ mark.

Councillor Stamp added: “When shopping for electrical goods, everybody loves a bargain but the product could be of poor quality, a cheap copy, or made to look like a well-known brand. So please be aware when shopping for gifts as cheap electrical goods are very likely to contain unsafe, incorrect or faulty parts that can overheat or break just days after purchase, increasing the risk of fire or electric shock.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus