A cyclist who died in an early morning crash with a lorry in Exning in January did not have any lights on his bike, an inquest has heard.

Radoslaw Cisak, 25, had been cycling on the A142 Fordham Road in Exning at around 6.45am on January 26 when the collision with a DAF lorry happened.

Mr Cisak suffered a head injury, prompting paramedics to take him to Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridgeshire, but died in hospital two days later.

During the inquest into his death held at Beacon House in Ipswich today, evidence from the police accident report was heard in which the road surface was described as in a “fair condition” but the area was dark at that time of the morning during winter.

The report said that “the DAF lorry had had some contact with the cyclist and the cyclist has left the road on the near side”.

The inquest heard that the driver of the lorry had carried out all the required checks on his lorry that morning, including making sure that the lights were clear and unobstructed by dirt.

The police statement added that breath tests on the lorry driver for drink or drug use returned negative, and that two mobile phones in the driver’s possession had not been in use at the time of the crash.

The report said that from reviewing the lorry’s dashcam footage “we can see moments before something comes into view.

“There is an oncoming vehicle with high beam on,” and added that “the high beam dips from the oncoming vehicle and then less than a second from that point the something that comes into view disappears down the near side of the lorry”.

The inquest heard that the lorry had been travelling at 45.8mph according to the dashcam – within the legal speed limit.

However, the police report added that Mr Cisak’s bike did not have any lights on it, and did not have reflectors on the pedals as required while driving in the dark.

Mr Cisak had a high visibility jacket in his pocket, but had not been wearing it, according to the police report.

Concluding, Dr Dan Sharpstone, assistant coroner, said there were “no actions of the driver that were substantially at fault,” and recorded a conclusion that Mr Cisak had died as a result of a road traffic collision.