A Suffolk veterinary practice has issued a warning about the dangers of grass seeds after treating six dogs suffering problems in one day.

Eastgate Vets, which has surgeries in Bury St Edmunds and Mildenhall, has issued a warning about the potential dangers after seeing a rise in the number of pets affected.

In one day, six dogs were treated for grass seed related issues.

Among the pets to be treated by Eastgate Vets in Bury was cockapoo Bobby.

East Anglian Daily Times: Bobby the Cockapoo was treated successfully by vetsBobby the Cockapoo was treated successfully by vets (Image: Eastgate Vets)

Owner Cathy Ashton noticed he was rubbing his face against his paw after a walk in farmland. 

She said: “At first, I thought Bobby’s paw was sore, but then I realised his eye was weeping and he also seemed bothered by something in his ear.

"I know that eye problems need to be seen as soon as possible, so I took him into Eastgate Vets straight away.”

Ves established that a seed had become lodged under his eyelid, while another was found in his ear. Both were removed while he was sedated.

Mrs Ashton added:  “The seeds caused Bobby a lot of discomfort, so I’m really grateful to Radley for removing them and making him feel better.

"Bobby was back to his old self straight away and, because I took him to the vet as soon as I suspected a problem, there hasn’t been any long-term damage to his eye."

Grass seed can be inhaled through the nose or become embedded into a dogs skin.

The seeds can pierce the skin, that could lead to a life-threatening serious infection.

Dr Jo Corbett, clinical director of Eastgate Vets, said: “The seeds typically fall off long, wild grass or some crops such as barley and attach themselves via barbs to the dog’s coat.

"It’s a really good idea for owners to check and groom their dogs if they have been walked in areas with long grass and remove any grass seeds that you find."