An inquest heard that a man from Woolpit who died in December was suffering from asbestosis. 

Suffolk Coroners' Court in Ipswich heard that John Wright, 81, was diagnosed with asbestosis in March last year, several months before his death.

It is believed that he was exposed to the toxic substance asbestos during his career as a builder and labourer.  

Asbestos used to be commonly used in insulation and fire proofing, before it was banned in 1999. It is now illegal to buy, sell, or import any substances containing asbestos.  

Asbestos is dangerous, as it can break down into microscopically thin particles which can remain airborne for days.

When these are breathed in by individuals, the particles can travel into a person’s lungs and become lodged in the lung tissue.  

Mr Wright was admitted to West Suffolk Hospital in Bury St Edmunds with shortness of breath.

He became “acutely unwell” at which point a discussion was had with his family, and it was agreed that Mr Wright would switch to end of life care. 

Mr Wright died on December 30, 2022.