A Suffolk-based soldier did not receive treatment for 31 minutes after collapsing with suspected heat stroke during a group run, a report has found.

An inquiry by the Defence Safety Authority (DSA), which regulates armed forces' safety and investigates accidents, found the death of Sapper Connor Morrison, who was based at Rock Barracks near Woodbridge, could have been prevented if treatment had been administered earlier.

The soldier with 23 Parachute Engineer Regiment died at Ipswich Hospital on July 23, 2022, just days after the UK had recorded its hottest ever day when a temperature of 40.3C was recorded at Coningsby in Lincolnshire.

READ MORE: Report into death of Woodbridge Sapper Connor Morrison

The DSA found no water was immediately available on the run and a nurse had to obtain some from a local shop, while further supplies came from one litre eye irrigation bottles carried within the ambulance.

Other runners had seen Sapper Morrison, 20, weaving from side-to-side during the latter stages of the run, a sign of potential heat stroke and the report said therefore there were "sufficient indicators" to support an "immediate diagnosis" of heat stroke.

"In the opinion of the panel this late diagnosis of heatstroke may have significantly reduced Sapper Morrison's chances of survival and was a contributory factor," the inquiry concluded.

READ MORE: 'We will remember him': Tribute to 'selfless' soldier who died in Suffolk

The avid Scottish football fan, from Renfrewshire, was not in poor physical condition although he had gained some weight since joining the regiment.

The DSA has made 41 recommendations to try and reduce risks while maintaining effective physical training for armed forces personnel.

It said: “From the point of collapse it became apparent that water would be needed to aid cooling.

“However, treatment for heat collapse was not initiated until 31 minutes after collapse and the only fluids available was water obtained by a nurse who took the decision to obtain some from a local shop, and that contained within 1 litre eye irrigation bottles carried within the ambulance.

“Had water been immediately available amongst the group, cooling treatment may have been initiated earlier.”

Military units should make water immediately available when conducting physical training, while the clinical guidance on heat stroke issued to ambulance staff was insufficient.

The panel also recommended improved lesson planning and more thought about the composition of the group, while a formal heat checklist would have been helpful.

In January, this newspaper reported that the Health and Safety Executive had determined that the soldier had died from natural causes in a "non-operational incident".

In a statement in September 2022, Lt Col Jack Crossley, the regiment's commanding officer, described Sapper Morrison as a "keen and enthusiastic" soldier who "worked hard to achieve his goals".

Reacting to the DSA report, an army spokesperson said: "Our thoughts and deepest sympathies remain with Sapper Morrison's family and friends at this difficult time.

"We take our responsibilities as an organisation extremely seriously and are wholly committed to improving organisational learning to minimise the chances of repetition.

"We will review and action the recommendations made in the service inquiry report as a matter of urgency."

The Ministry of Defence was approached for comment.