An unsolved Suffolk murder case is set to feature on national TV on Easter Monday - more than 40 years after the victim's body was discovered in a copse.

The death of Diane Jones, whose body was found at Brightwell, near Martlesham, will be examined on Channel 5 in the programme Prime Suspect: Murder in Suburbia, which is set to hear new evidence from detectives, friends, lovers and neighbours.

Mrs Jones, 35, was last seen in a pub in Coggeshall in Essex on July 23, 1983 where she was described by witnesses as being "drunk" and reportedly had a row with her husband, Dr Robert Jones.

READ MORE: Martlesham body: Police update on Diane Jones murder

East Anglian Daily Times: Dr Robert Jones, pictured right with his solicitor, was suspected of Diane's murder, but died in France Dr Robert Jones, pictured right with his solicitor, was suspected of Diane's murder, but died in France (Image: Archive)Dr Jones, who became the main suspect in the case, told police he had driven her to their home at Lee's Farm near the A120 and dropped her outside before going to park the car in a garage a few minutes' drive away.

This was the last time Mrs Jones was seen alive and her husband did not report her missing until nine days later.

READ MORE: Robert Jones dies in France, aged 80

Fruitless searches were made along 70 miles of roadside verges before her body was eventually discovered 30 miles away in Brightwell, adjacent to the A1093, in October 1983 and she was identified through her dental records.

Her skull had been fractured in four places and forensics deduced from her injuries that she had been hit with a weapon similar to a slate hammer, with a long spike on one side and a square hammer head on the other.

East Anglian Daily Times: Police searched 70 miles of roadside verges for Diane's bodyPolice searched 70 miles of roadside verges for Diane's body (Image: Archive)However, in June last year, national media reported that Dr Jones had died at his home in France aged 80 and police told this newspaper that his death made it "unlikely" the case would be able to progress.

READ MORE: Martlesham news

Andy Guy, the Major Crime Review and Unsolved Case Team manager, said: “We had been making some positive progress in the case of Diane’s murder and were unearthing new information, even after all this time. 

“The death of the suspect in this inquiry means it is unlikely we will be able to progress much further now, as we are not currently looking for anyone else in connection with this crime.

“Unfortunately, we were unable to reach the evidential threshold required for a prosecution for murder on two separate occasions." 

The programme is due to air from 10pm until 11.40pm.