A piece of the seaside brought to Stowmarket for Beach Party and Golden Mile Race
Hundreds of people enjoyed a bit of the seaside in Stowmarket alongside a race through the town’s streets at the annual Beach Party and Golden Mile Race this weekend.
The sold out Golden Mile event, organised by running club Stowmarket Striders, saw 300 participants race through the town centre on Saturday before ending at the Recreation Ground where the Beach Party was held.
This year’s Golden Mile was be the fourth since its inception in 2014 as a one-off celebration of the 60th anniversary of the first four-minute mile run by Roger Bannister.
Stowmarket Town Council also brought the seaside to town for the fifth year with its Beach Party, which featured music, donkey rides, Punch and Judy, bouncy castles, circus skills workshops and a giant sand pit.
David Marsh, theatre and events manager at Stowmarket Town Council, said: “We were really pleased with the numbers at the event. We managed to avoid the rain for the first time in five years so that was good.
“The Golden Mile sold out in record time and we are pleased to be able to offer this free event for the community.”
- 1 The possible candidates as Ipswich Town search for new boss
- 2 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 3 Paul Cook sacked by Ipswich Town
- 4 Ipswich Town set to announce caretaker manager
- 5 Stuart Watson's verdict: Cook sacking shows Town owners mean business
- 6 Harsh or fair? Here's what Town fans are saying about Paul Cook sacking
- 7 The early betting favourites to be the next Town boss
- 8 'Would get Town promoted this season' - Ambrose reveals his choice for new boss
- 9 Approved town centre hotel will help meet need for tourist rooms
- 10 'Gutted to see the gaffer go' - Norwood on Cook sacking