Aldeburgh: Carnival preparations under way - but fundraising drive still needed
ORGANISERS behind a fun-filled three-day extravaganza that celebrates life in one of Suffolk’s most prestigious seaside resorts have started the countdown to this year’s event.
The Aldeburgh Carnival will return between Saturday, August 18, and Monday, August 20.
Organisers had expressed fears that 2011’s event could be the last because of rising costs associated with policing and traffic control.
But the carnival committee said donations hit a record high.
The strength of support means that this year’s event, which will cost up to �40,000, will go ahead – although a fundraising drive will still be necessary.
Keith Batt, press liaison officer for Aldeburgh Carnival, said: “Preparations are now well under way. Last year we had such a lot of support and it was a great success.
“Three things came together for us – the weather was terrific, we had a record crowd who were hugely generous and we had unprecedented coverage. We can’t count on all three coming together again so we will still need to raise as much money as possible. This year is the 70th anniversary so it promises to be extra special.
- 1 Unclaimed £83k winning EuroMillions lottery ticket was bought in Suffolk
- 2 Suffolk glamp site 'perfect for romantic retreats' named among best in UK
- 3 Long-running BBC One show to be filmed in Suffolk church
- 4 Greater Anglia warns of further severe disruptions as more strikes planned
- 5 Police concerned for welfare of missing Suffolk man last seen two weeks ago
- 6 Woman who stole £24k from school and football club to face sentence
- 7 Former town council manager named as woman who died in A11 crash
- 8 A14 closed after crash involving lorry and car
- 9 Revealed: Where house prices are rising fastest in Suffolk
- 10 ‘I think we sell one of the best Sunday roasts in Suffolk,’ says landlord
“With so much going on this summer – such as the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee and the Olympic torch procession – it’s a very exciting time.
“A number of things are still in the pipeline and further details will be revealed soon. Hopefully people’s generosity will continue because we want to carry on for many years to come.”
Visit www.aldeburghcarnival.com for details on how to help.