Appeal launched to vote for YOPEY Befriender scheme to continue in Bury St Edmunds
- Credit: Archant
A Bury St Edmunds scheme that uses young people to befriend elderly care home residents with dementia will come to an end in the town soon unless it finds new sources of funds.
Stradishall charity founder Tony Gearing, who was made an MBE this summer “for services to young people”, is calling on people to vote for YOPEY Befriender in the Aviva Community Fund.
YOPEY, the charity Tony founded, has been running YOPEY Befriender at two care homes in Bury for two years. More than 150 school pupils from County Upper and St Benedict’s volunteered to visit lonely care home residents, many of them with dementia.
A group of more than 20 14-15 year-olds have been visiting St Peter’s House, in Out Risbygate, where all the residents have dementia, since the start of this year. But this will be the last group and their volunteering will end at Christmas unless YOPEY wins an Aviva Community Fund prize or another source of funds is found.
“Sadly as dementia changes people’s personality their families find it difficult to visit. YOPEY Befrienders fill that gap in the hearts of elderly care home residents,” explained Tony.
You may also want to watch:
“The young people also benefit as they learn life lessons and acquire skills that will help their families if they have a loved one develop dementia.”
To vote for YOPEY Befriender in the Aviva Community Fund competiton, which has over £1 million to give to good causes, go to www.avivacommunityfund.co.uk, register and search YOPEY Befriender. Everyone has 10 votes.
- 1 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 2 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 3 The 72 postcode areas where Covid infection rates are rising
- 4 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday
- 5 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 6 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 7 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 8 'Poor' infection control at care home sees used Covid test swab left in pile of clean PPE
- 9 Church brings a new Hope to former Ipswich Odeon cinema
- 10 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
Voting closes on Monday, November 20.