Architects win award for striking cathedral tower ceiling
ARCHITECTS who worked on a magnificent tower ceiling at St Edmundsbury Cathedral have jointly won an architectural award.
Freeland Rees Roberts Architects, based in Cambridge, and Gothic Design Practice have been announced as joint winners in the heritage category of the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) East Spirit of Ingenuity Awards for 2010.
The award recognises their project to install a wooden, guilded fan-vaulted ceiling painted in blue, green and red in the Millennium Tower of the Bury St Edmunds cathedral.
The two firms are sharing the award with the Whitworth Co-Partnership LLP, based in Bury St Edmunds, who are behind the Queen Anne’s Summerhouse project at Old Warden Park, Biggleswade.
The winners in the seven categories were announced at an awards dinner on Friday at Downing College, Cambridge.
You may also want to watch:
Louise Todd, regional director of RIBA East, said: “The winners of this year’s awards highlight the fantastic contribution made by talented architects working within the region.
“The range of design challenges tackled by practices show that beautiful, satisfying architecture does not have to be costly and can make a significant contribution to the enjoyment of our built environment.”
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Jack Whitehall praises award-winning Suffolk gastropub after visit
- 3 Town face competition from Championship club for Rotherham midfielder Crooks
- 4 A14 and A12 set for major upgrade work
- 5 Full list: Everyone in Suffolk in the Queen's Birthday Honours 2021
- 6 Former Ipswich Town boss Keane as you've never seen him before
- 7 Caravans pitch up at Felixstowe car park
- 8 5 cheap or free things to do in Suffolk this weekend
- 9 The 36 best restaurants in Suffolk according to the AA guide
- 10 Coronavirus 'growth rate' rises further in East Anglia
Pick Everard, based in Bury St Edmunds, received a commendation in the community category for Gainsborough Community Library, Ipswich, and Freeland Rees Roberts Architects received a commendation in the heritage award for visitor facilities at Layer Marney Tower, near Colchester.
RH Partnership Architects, based in Cambridge, won the workspace category award for the Headquarters Building at Dalham Hall Stud, Newmarket.