Armed police in Lakenheath after pharmacy staff threatened with knife
- Credit: Staff photographer
Armed police have been deployed to Lakenheath following an attempted robbery at knifepoint at a High Street pharmacy.
Suffolk police were called to Lakenheath Pharmacy, High Street, at 3.20pm following reports that a person had entered the shop, brandished a knife and demanded cash from staff.
There is a heavy police presence as officers search for the suspect.
A spokesman for police said: “We had reports of someone going into a premise in the high street holding a knife and taking some money out of the till. No one was hurt.
“We have still got several police units in Lakenheath searching for the suspect.
You may also want to watch:
“We have got some armed police there because that’s the standard response if there’s any weapon.”
A manager at a nearby business, who did not leave their name, said: “I am a little bit worried because I work on my own.
- 1 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 2 American marines fly to Suffolk to join Dambusters on new aircraft carrier
- 3 A possible Ipswich Town reunion at Colchester this summer
- 4 A12 reopens after police respond to 'serious' accident
- 5 Town confirm early departure of experienced defender due to contract clause
- 6 Have your say on bid for new shopping village with cinema and hotel
- 7 Two arrested after police block off street following threats
- 8 How a popular Suffolk resort is gearing up for a bumper summer
- 9 Election 2021: Suffolk County Council candidates published
- 10 NHS hero injured in pub explosion feels 'lucky to be alive'
“It’s Lakenheath, it’s a sleepy place really.”
Another business owner, who also asked not to be named, said: “As far as I know there has been an armed robbery. They are not saying much, apart from stay in youe buildings and stay safe.
“There’s lots of police with guns and dogs.
“For me, as a small business owner and being female...I’m stepping up my security measures.
“People are speculating saying they are after the drugs with them being a chemist.
“One can never be too careful.”