Hammer-wielding robbers raid Witham Co-op
- Credit: Dimitris Legakis/Athena Pictures
Balaclava-clad robbers armed with hammers stole a four-figure sum of cash from a store in Essex last night.
Two men wielding weapons entered the Co-op shop in Spa Road, Witham shortly after 9.30pm and demanded money.
The culprits left the store with a four-figure sum of cash in what was believed to have been a black double cab pick-up truck.
One man was described as being white, around 6ft tall and stocky. He was wearing a black balaclava and black Nike tracksuit with a solid white stripe down side. He was also wearing black gloves and black trainers with a white Nike tick.
The second man was described as being mixed race, around 6ft 3ins tall and skinny. He was wearing a grey Nike tracksuit with a hooded top, a black balaclava, black trainers and red gloves. He also had a shoulder bag.
You may also want to watch:
Both men were described as having London accents.
No-one was injured during the robbery, police said.
- 1 Town in talks to sign Barnsley forward Chaplin
- 2 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
- 3 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 4 Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
- 5 Ipswich Town appoint new strength and conditioning coach
- 6 Ipswich target Jacobs on his Town talks and chances of a Portman Road move
- 7 'He's a proper footballer... hopefully he can stay around us' - praise for Town teenager Humphreys
- 8 Mike Bacon: This Ipswich team has Paul Cook's style stamped all over it
- 9 Road closed after lorry crashes into tree as one person is trapped inside
- 10 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
Anyone with information about the incident is asked to contact Braintree Criminal Investigation Centre on 101, quoting reference 42/79572/18.
Alternatively, contact the charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or online.