Asparagus: Bean’s top ‘tips’
- Credit: PA
The British asparagus season is in full swing. Keeley Bolger unearths TV chef Marcus Bean’s top tips for making the most of this special vegetable
Like love, a perfectly brewed cup of tea and the next series of Downton Abbey, some things in life are worth the wait. And they include British asparagus.
With a season spanning roughly eight weeks a year and ending in late June, British asparagus is a flighty friend.
So flighty that you may be flummoxed as to what to do with these lean, green shoots. But before you resign yourself to another helping of fail-safe broccoli, TV chef Marcus Bean has plenty of top ‘tips’.
“I love asparagus. The possibilities are endless,” he says. “It’s just about knowing a few recipes to make the most of it.”
You may also want to watch:
Bean’s teamed up with the British Asparagus campaign to encourage more of us to enjoy the home-grown delicacy.
“It’s such a long process to cultivate our asparagus but when it’s right, it’s just so good that it’s a shame not to eat it,” he says.
- 1 Ipswich Town lead the chase to sign Luton skipper Sonny Bradley
- 2 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 3 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
- 4 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 5 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 6 New rickshaw taxi service starts in town
- 7 Passenger falls off motorbike on A134
- 8 'Mass of smoke' billows from roof in house fire
- 9 Farm to use renovated rail carriages as holiday lets
- 10 Kesgrave shooting: Trial set to start as boy, 16, denies attempted murder
Try this recipe that Bean has written for British Asparagus.