Babergh leader asks for calm on possible headquarters move with Mid Suffolk
The leader of Babergh has called for the council and Mid Suffolk not to rush proposals which could see their headquarters scrapped.
Babergh and Mid Suffolk district councils have voted to further examine plans which would see an administrative hub developed with satellite offices providing services. The councils are expecting millions of pounds in cuts in the next parliamentary term and so are looking at ways to save money.
Jennie Jenkins, Babergh’s leader, believes it is “unlikely” the council will move from its headquarters in Hadleigh to Mid Suffolk’s home in Needham Market or vice versa to create the hub. If that option is ruled out it only leaves proposals to create the hub either at Suffolk County Council’s Ipswich base or somewhere in the “Ipswich Fringe” area.
Mrs Jenkins said: “It’s not economical (to keep things as they are) because we have got staff in both offices, we have got a management board travelling to both offices and members in both offices. For the staff in particular, their working relationship would be much easier if they were in one building.
“It’s unlikely that we will move into either headquarters, we need to take a fresh look because a merger was not voted for.
You may also want to watch:
“We have got plenty of time to make what will be an important decision and nothing must make us rush that.”
A final decision on whether to go ahead with any of the proposals is expected after the next district elections, in May 2015.
- 1 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 2 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 3 Town take up contract options on duo with plenty of departures still expected
- 4 Chambers and Skuse set to be headline exits on day of departures at Ipswich Town
- 5 Mark Heath: The Town players Cook should keep and release today
- 6 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 7 Chambers and Skuse to leave Ipswich Town
- 8 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 9 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-1 win against Fleetwood
- 10 Queen writes to Lily, 5, in reply to condolences card