Bardwell: Listed building hit by ‘substantial’ fire

Fire crews from Newmarket attended the incident

Fire crews from Newmarket attended the incident - Credit: Archant

Firefighters were called to take care of a blaze which started in the chimney of a Grade II listed building near Bury St Edmunds this afternoon.

The fire started at a property in Low Street, Bardwell, just before 1pm.

Fire crews from Ixworth and Elmswell were called to the scene, where they discovered that a blaze, described as “substantial” had broken out behind an inglenook fireplace.

Crews used various chimney gear and a thermal imaging camera to extinguish the fire, bringing the flames under control by 1.48pm.


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus