Barrel of laughs at village fun event
GALLERY A record crowd turned up for a village fun event yesterday after morning clouds dispersed to leave a sunny afternoon.
A RECORD crowd turned up for a village fun event yesterday after morning clouds dispersed to leave a sunny afternoon.
The Westleton Barrel Fair - in its 14th year - was held on the village green with barrel rolling races for all ages and a variety of other attractions, including Punch and Judy, Morris dancing and music from the Ipswich Hospital Band.
Arlette Smith, one of the organisers, said: “We think it is a record year - there was so many vehicles coming into the village that we had to shut the car park at one time because the field was full.”
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Smith said money raised would be ploughed back into the village, supporting a number of local projects and causes.
The popular event was officially opened this year by Radio Suffolk's Lesley Dolphin and Mark Murphy, the latter gamely entering the men's all-comers race and being involved in a photo finish - for last place!
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 'It's gone crazy' - Boss of Town's promotion rivals on League One spending
- 3 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 4 Andy Angles: Five observations following Town's clash with Crystal Palace
- 5 Popular Southwold fish and chip shop for sale for £850k
- 6 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 7 Mapped: Check the Covid rate in your Suffolk neighbourhood
- 8 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their friendly clash with Crystal Palace
- 9 7 pretty villages in Suffolk
- 10 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
Barrel rolling races - in which metal kegs are propelled down, and then up, a slope were held for adults and children of both sexes. The bumps and troughs of the green serve to add to the mayhem of the race.
The modern day races were inspired by memories of the long-defunct village carnival which featured races up and down the village street, propelling full-size wooden barrels.
Jonathan Alexander, who has won the Westleton men's race on several previous occasions, was the winner once more this year and the Westleton ladies' race was won by Barbara Buckley, who also triumphed last year.
The White Horse team won the annual Westleton pub challenge against the Crown.
Other winners were Michelle Ivens (ladies all-comers) and Spencer Oliver (men's all-comers).