Battisford: Community spirit brings pub back to life
MEMBERS of the community in Battisford have showcased the kind of community spirit that Suffolk ACRE’s survey has found is a number one concern in the county.
More than 60 volunteers managed to refurbish The Punch Bowl Inn, near Stowmarket, in only six weeks last year after a company was formed to lease the inn.
The pub had been closed for two years but was officially opened for business in April 2011 after the refurbishment work was completed.
Suffolk ACRE’s survey found that councils were worried that many villages lacked groups run by and for residents.
But the pub goes against this trend and currently has 15 volunteers on its books who can help man the bar and wait tables.
Helen Read, one of five directors at the pub, said: “I have lived in the village since 1956 and it’s got a heart of gold. When we asked people to help they did – we had an army of volunteers. It’s surprising what a difference you can make.”
- 1 'Emotions are high' - McGreal on ugly scenes following Charlton loss
- 2 First case of Omicron confirmed in Suffolk with 16 more suspected
- 3 Fallen trees block Suffolk roads as Storm Barra batters region
- 4 Matchday Recap: McGreal's Town beaten at The Valley
- 5 Suffolk bin collection changes this Christmas: All you need to know
- 6 Karaoke noise complaints prompts fear Grade II pub could close
- 7 Person dies in Ipswich house fire
- 8 Stu says: Five observations following Town's 2-0 loss at Charlton
- 9 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in Charlton loss
- 10 Trio jailed as travellers' site shooting described as 'like a movie scene'