‘Brazen and prolific’ burglar caught after leaving DNA on steering wheel is jailed
- Credit: Archant
A prolific burglar has been jailed for 12 years after admitting a string of thefts, including his role in the stealing of multiple cars from a garage.
Billy Francis pleaded guilty to burglaries in Halstead, Buckhurst Hill, Brentwood, Loughton and Gravesend, as well as an aggravated burglary in East Church, Kent.
In the Halstead burglary, 11 cars were stolen from the Crossways Garage in the High Street on February 10 last year.
DNA belonging to Francis was found on the steering wheel of one of the remaining cars, which had been moved to allow the thieves to steal other ones.
The 33-year-old, of Durham Road in Manor Park, London, was jailed at Basildon Crown Court on Thursday for a total of 12 years. He was also banned from driving for eight years and must take an extended test.
You may also want to watch:
Detective Sergeant David Wilkinson, of Brentwood CID, said: “Francis is a brazen and prolific burglar, but forensic tests and CCTV played a key part in helping us identify and catch him.
“The long prison sentence he has been given reflects the seriousness of his crimes.”
- 1 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 2 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
- 3 New online booking system for Suffolk recycling centres
- 4 'We'll see how we go' - QPR boss Warburton on Bonne recall option
- 5 'We are sorry' - Council apologises for letting SEND children in Suffolk down
- 6 Suspected drink driver flees scene after car destroyed in crash
- 7 Ndaba on Salford, Neville's advice, his brush with Ronaldo-mania and his goal of reaching the Ipswich Town first-team
- 8 Fuller Flavour: Can we sign Bonne permanently, please?
- 9 Exhausted farmers cool off the combines after gruelling harvest
- 10 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'