Woman’s body discovered in River Waveney at Beccles
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A woman’s body has been discovered this afternoon in a river in north Suffolk.
Suffolk police said it was called at 2.35pm by a member of the public who said they had made the discovery in the River Waveney at Beccles.
A spokeswoman for Suffolk police said: “Emergency services are currently at the scene and an investigation is underway.
“The death is currently being treated as unexplained.”
A spokeswoman for Suffolk County Council said two coastguard rescue teams were also called to the scene.
You may also want to watch:
Five Suffolk Fire and Rescue vehicles were also mobilised to attend the incident at 2.48pm, but were stood down at 2.57pm.
A man who was in the area at the time said he had seen a lot of police and ambulance activity in Northgate.
- 1 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 2 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 3 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 4 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 5 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 6 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
- 7 'I've got goosebumps... I've been blown away' - Town owner Johnson excited for first Portman Road game
- 8 A140 closed in both directions after two vehicle crash
- 9 Warning of seasonal canine disorder after dachshund Trudie taken ill
- 10 Shoplifter caught stealing £829 worth of alcohol from Sainsbury's
Readers have taken to Facebook to express their sadness at the news.
One person said: “My heart goes out to that poor family,” while another said: “So so sad rest in peace darling.”
No further details have been released about the woman.