Update issued by police after ‘suspicious package’ found at Asda
- Credit: Archant
A police cordon at an Asda supermarket in Essex has been lifted after a bomb disposal squad was called to the area.
Officers were first called at around 10.10am today to reports of a suspicious package at an Asda in Chelmer Village, near Chelmsford.
The police subsequently contacted the Ministry of Defence EOD and cordoned off the area as a precaution.
The shop car park was also evacuated as the emergency services continued to work.
Officers have now lifted the cordon are continuing to investigate what happened.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman said: “The Ministry of Defence EOD unit has taken the package away.
“Our investigations and enquiries are continuing.”
- 1 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 2 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 3 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 4 A14 to close following four vehicle crash
- 5 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 6 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 7 From Blues to U's - how ex-Town stars are faring at Colchester
- 8 Former Town winger Finidi George gets first senior manager job
- 9 Towering views for royal on visit to see completed £4m Suffolk project
- 10 Numbers don't look good but there are turnarounds Town can take from
Officers have thanked the public for their cooperation.