Book charts high school's history
A HIGH school has unveiled a book charting 120 years of its history from the late 1800s up to the present day. Northgate: From Victorian times to the Millennium was launched this week by headteacher Neil Watts and the book's editor former pupil Roger Cooper.
A HIGH school has unveiled a book charting 120 years of its history from the late 1800s up to the present day.
Northgate: From Victorian times to the Millennium was launched this week by headteacher Neil Watts and the book's editor former pupil Roger Cooper.
It plots the history of the boys section of the Ipswich school and the development of the combined comprehensive from 1977, when it joined together with the girls section.
Mr Watts said: “A history of the girls section has already been written and I was very conscious that unless someone took the initiative then the history of the boys and joint schools would be lost.
You may also want to watch:
“Roger has done a marvellous job in bringing it all together and the initial feedback has been extremely positive. The book is a real labour of love and we are absolutely delighted.”
The book features information from Suffolk Records Office as well as testimony and reports from former members of staff and pupils.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 2 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 3 Town could still move for another winger after Chaplin signing
- 4 Luke Woolfenden: 'It's like night and day, and I'm loving it'
- 5 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 6 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 7 Suffolk landowner is fined for careless driving and jumping red light
- 8 Suffolk sprinter opens her 'dream' cafe at age of 25
- 9 Rise in West Suffolk Covid rate one of the highest in England
- 10 Andy's Angles: Six observations from Ipswich Town's Colchester draw
Mr Cooper, who attended Northgate between 1946 and 1953, said he first saw the school was looking for someone to compile a history when he was visiting relatives in Kesgrave.
“I was on the verge of retirement and my wife and I were moving back to Suffolk and I thought it would be a good project to keep me busy,” he said.
Copies of the book can be bought from Northgate High School on 01473 210123, priced £6.99 plus 81p postage and packaging.