Dog looking for food accidentally starts kitchen fire
- Credit: Archant
A family’s kitchen has suffered smoke damage after their dog managed to start a fire.
Essex County Fire and Rescue were called to a property on St James Road in Braintree at 3.30pm on Friday after a family got home from the school run to find a fire in their kitchen.
The fire had been called by the family’s dog who had been trying to get to its food.
Incident commander William McGrath said: “When we arrived the family were safely outside their home.
“They had got out, stayed out and called 999, which was absolutely the right thing to do.
You may also want to watch:
“The fire started after the family dog jumped up to get to its food and accidentally turned on an electric hob.
“Thankfully the fire had not yet spread to the cupboards above, but this could have been a different outcome if the occupants did not return home when they did.
- 1 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 2 Family pay tribute to former Suffolk headteacher who has passed away
- 3 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 4 Stu says: He's ours now! The pick-pocket and cheese-gate - Town's 4-0 win
- 5 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 6 Two Suffolk homes 30 miles apart struck by lightning
- 7 A14 roundabout lanes remain closed as burst water main repaired
- 8 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 9 Additional measures including face masks to be reintroduced to Suffolk schools
- 10 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
“Our advice is to keep all kitchen surfaces clear when you’re not using them and turn off your hob and oven at the main switch.”
Two crews from Braintree were called to the blaze which was completely extinguished the fire by 3.55pm.
They then fitted two new smoke alarms.
The property has suffered light smoke damage and fire damage to the extractor fan.