Grandad shaves off Father Christmas-style beard for brave grandson
- Credit: Archant
A grandad from Suffolk has undergone a dramatic transformation as a way of helping the hospital that cares for his brave grandson.
Mervyn Tokley, from Little Cornard, near Sudbury, was inspired to raise money for Great Ormond Street (GOSH), where his grandson first underwent an operation at just two days old.
Since then Thomas Turner, who is now 12, has had multiple operations to treat a rare condition called hypoplastic right heart pulmonary
The condition means the right side of Thomas's heart has not developed properly and he is not able to join in with sports with his school mates at the Thomas Gainsborough School.
You may also want to watch:
When he was 11, the GOSH team performed open heart surgery on the brave youngster, from Great Cornard, and just two months ago he had yet another operation at the London hospital.
Family friend Ally Bain said: "Meryvn is the traditional 'stiff-upper-lip' type of person who takes each day as they come, although his family could tell he had been thinking about what Thomas has been through."
- 1 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 2 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 3 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 4 A14 to close following four vehicle crash
- 5 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 6 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 7 From Blues to U's - how ex-Town stars are faring at Colchester
- 8 Former Town winger Finidi George gets first senior manager job
- 9 Towering views for royal on visit to see completed £4m Suffolk project
- 10 'It was horrific': Grandmother stuck abroad after 40ft castle fall
Until earlier this year the 68-year-old, who used to have a passing resemblance to Father Christmas, had no idea that the overnight accommodation provided for parents at GOSH was funded by donations.
As a way of helping GOSH and the parents that have to stay there, Mr Tokley decided to raise money for them by shaving off his impressive hair and beard.
So far Mr Tokley, who had his head and beard shaved with the help of Thomas at Jon Cutters in Sudbury, has raised £700 for GOSH.
For more information on how to donate to Great Ormond Street hospital phone their supporter care team on 020 3841 3131.