Brown starts Cabinet reshuffle
UNDER-fire Prime Minister Gordon Brown has begun a Cabinet reshuffle this morning as he attempts to counter what are predicted to be awful results for Labour in the local elections.
DEFENCE Secretary John Hutton has become the latest Cabinet minister to step down this morning as under-fire Prime Minister Gordon Brown started a reshuffle.
Health Secretary Alan Johnson is to become the new Home Secretary in the reshuffle, while much-criticised Chancellor Alistair Darling is expected to stay in his post.
Sources also indicated that Jack Straw will stay as Justice Secretary.
Foreign Secretary David Miliband is expected to remain in his post. Lord Mandelson is expected to stay on as Business Secretary, and have responsibility for science added to his portfolio.
John Denham, who was rumoured for the post of Health Secretary in the shake-up, now looks set to replace Hazel Blears as Communities Secretary.
Mr Brown made the reshuffle move in a bid to counter what are predicted to be awful results for Labour in the local elections.
- 1 Is this tearoom near Ipswich one of Suffolk’s best-kept secrets?
- 2 New landlord hopes to make Suffolk pub 'centre' of village community
- 3 Plans for two drive-through takeaways in Suffolk town
- 4 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 5 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 6 The former Ipswich players looking for new clubs this summer
- 7 New landlords take over award-winning pub and brewery in Suffolk village
- 8 Man caught in undercover police sting trying to meet '13-year-old girl'
- 9 Cobwebs spotted covering entire trees across Suffolk
- 10 Woman in hospital with life-threatening injuries after serious A143 crash
- Check this site for updates on the reshuffle.