Burglar jailed for 14 months after stealing from home in Bury St Edmunds
- Credit: Archant
A 21-year-old woman woke up in the early hours of the morning to find a burglar peering through an open window, a court has heard.
The USAF worker shouted out:”What the hell are you doing?” and 27-year-old Thomas Sansome- Jones apologised and said he thought he could stay the night there, Ipswich Crown Court heard.
Sansome-Jones, of Northumberland Avenue, Bury St Edmunds admitted burglary at the property in Churchgate Street, Bury St Edmunds on August 18 and stealing a television and stand, a bag containing clothes, a handbag and a rucksack containing a passport, an identity document and bank cards.
The court heard that the defendant’s blood and a palm print were found at the property.
Jailing him for 14 months Judge John Devaux described the offence as opportunistic and said it was committed after Sansome- Jones had been on an amphetamine “binge”.
You may also want to watch:
He said the victim of the burglary was now planning on moving from the premises.
Kelly Fernandez-Lee for Sansome-Jones said her client recognised the burglary must have been a terrifying experience for the victim and had expressed remorse for what he had done.
- 1 Film crews shooting new Netflix film in Suffolk village
- 2 Suffolk-based former Marine found dead after 10-month disappearance
- 3 Two mega prisons for 3,500 inmates set to be built near RAF base
- 4 Delays on Orwell Bridge near Ipswich
- 5 Overturned trailer causing delays on roundabout near Bury St Edmunds
- 6 Matchday Live: Town two up on basement boys
- 7 Five people injured in 'violent disorder' at Newmarket racecourse
- 8 Air ambulance called to incident on Bury St Edmunds estate
- 9 Rovers bottom, Town starting to click, key men back... is this the night?
- 10 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan