Man accused of indecent assault offered children sweets and fizzy drinks, court hears
- Credit: Archant
A woman who claims she was sexually abused as a child by a former Suffolk man during visits to his home has denied lying about the allegations.
Giving evidence on the second day of the trial of Stephen Grant, now aged 60, formerly of Hodson Close, Bury St Edmunds, the woman described his back door as always being open to local children with sweets and fizzy drinks on offer.
The woman claimed that Grant had sexually abused her during the 1990s on a number of occasions from the age of eight and denied a suggestion by defence counsel Joanne Eley that she wasn’t telling the truth about the allegations.
Grant, who now lives in Stretham Road, Wilburton, Ely, has denied 10 offences of indecent assault and three of indecency with a child in respect of one of the alleged victims between 1995 and 1999 when she was aged between eight and 12 and one offence of indecent assault in relation to another girl between 1989 and 1991 when she was six or seven.
Grant has also denied attempted rape, indecency with a child and two offences of indecent assault on a third alleged victim between 1990 and 1996 when she was aged between five and ten.
You may also want to watch:
Stephen Rose, prosecuting, said Grant lived alone and young children living in the area near him in Bury St Edmunds knew his door was always open and treats were on offer.
Following his arrest Grant denied the allegations.
- 1 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 2 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 3 Affordable homes project proposed for east Suffolk village
- 4 Pub changes 'offensive' Halloween display after social media criticism
- 5 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
- 6 'The culture is right' - Johnson leaves Town in good hands after whirlwind trip
- 7 Man indecently exposes himself to dog walker in Cavendish
- 8 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
- 9 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 10 13 Fire engines attend blaze at sugar beet factory
The trial continues.