Bury St Edmunds: Man admits murder of jeweller Peter Avis
A MAN has pleaded guilty to murdering Bury St Edmunds jeweller Peter Avis.
The body of 66-year-old Mr Avis was found in his flat above his shop Collis & Son in Abbeygate Street, Bury St Edmunds on January 13.
A post mortem examination revealed he died as a result of stab wounds.
Before Ipswich Crown Court today was Ireneusz Melanuik, 28, of no fixed address, who pleaded guilty to murdering Mr Avis on January 12 or 13. He also admitted burglary at Mr Avis’s flat and stealing jewellery.
Melaniuk was detained in Poland for another matter and returned to the UK last month under a European Arrest Warrant.
You may also want to watch:
At an earlier hearing Kamil Kita, 20, of no fixed abode, pleaded not guilty to murdering Mr Avis.
Kita also denied a charge of conspiring to commit burglary in Abbeygate Street between December 1, 2011, and January 14, 2012.
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 3 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 6 East Suffolk village garage to be rebuilt as part of homes plan
- 7 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 8 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 9 Hundreds of calls, fighting off interest, a health scare and a missing man - how Town signed match-winner Celina this summer
- 10 'It was a bit of a heavy weight' - Cook on Evans, Morsy and the Town captaincy
Aleksandra Karpiuk, 27, of Lake Avenue, Bury; Pawel Pacian, 34, also of Lake Avenue; and Pawel Borowiecki, 32, of Roslyn Road, London have all denied conspiracy to burgle premises in Abbeygate Street.