Bury St Edmunds market encourages customers to use reusable cups
- Credit: Archant
Shoppers in Bury St Edmunds can now show their support for the environment and the town’s market by enjoying their drinks in a new reusable cup.
The Love Your Local Market Bury St Edmunds cups will be available from Tom’s Snack Bar, Quality Catering and Henry’s Hog Roast from Saturday and will be free to the first 20 customers buying a drink from these stands.
Robert Everitt, cabinet member for families and communities at St Edmundsbury Borough Council, said: “Both the council and the market traders want to make it even easier for our local residents and visitors to make the right choice for our environment.
“We know that throw away cups are not good for the environment and just as we have previously promoted reusable market bags, we are now making reusable market cups available for customers to enjoy their hot drinks in.”
Darren Old, spokesman for the Bury Market Traders said: “We know that many of our customers prefer to bring their own reusable bags to carry home the items they buy in the market and around the town.
“These cups offer our shoppers a chance to show their support for both the environment and for the market and that has got to be worth drinking to.”
The council says it is not making any profit on the cups, which will be available for £2 each, and is making the first 20 available for free.
- 1 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 2 New cafe toasts successful first week
- 3 New state-of-the-art army attack helicopters undergo testing in Suffolk
- 4 Patrols 'throughout the night' following dispersal order in Suffolk town
- 5 Harper and El Mizouni made available for loan
- 6 Young driver crashes car just a week after passing
- 7 Police called to anti-vaccine demonstration at Suffolk pharmacy
- 8 Police warning after Suffolk driver speeds at 126mph
- 9 'Two suspicious individuals' spotted on primary school roof
- 10 World War Two-themed holiday accommodation plans at former airfield