Bury St Edmunds: New £7.5m college campus building dedication
- Credit: Archant
A TOPPING out ceremony is to be held later this month to dedicate an impressive new £7.5 million building on the main Bury St Edmunds campus of West Suffolk College.
A long awaited Further Education building will be completed in the next few months on a site alongside the college’s main car park, in Out Risbygate. The construction project is fully funded from college reserves and loan funding.
The main entrance to the college site has been redesigned to lead visitors to a reception area in the imposing new building.
This building will provide an impressive new gateway to the college, including complete remodelling of the frontage.
The FE building will house a new reception area and student services facilities, additional recreational space and more than 20 new classrooms and staff rooms.
You may also want to watch:
Deputy principal David Howells said: “This building work will effect a transformation in the appearance of the campus and provide vastly improved facilities for students. The new arrangement will create a new focus for Further Education on campus and give UCS Bury St Edmunds a clear identity, in Suffolk House, as a hub of Higher Education.
“This development is part of the continued renewal of the West Suffolk College campus in Bury St Edmunds which, despite the withdrawal of Government funding, has continued on a regular basis in recent years.”
- 1 American marines fly to Suffolk to join Dambusters on new aircraft carrier
- 2 A possible Ipswich Town reunion at Colchester this summer
- 3 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 4 A12 reopens after police respond to 'serious' accident
- 5 Two arrested after police block off street following threats
- 6 Town confirm early departure of experienced defender due to contract clause
- 7 Have your say on bid for new shopping village with cinema and hotel
- 8 How a popular Suffolk resort is gearing up for a bumper summer
- 9 'This club is going to be flying next season' - Dyer on 0-0 draw at Shrewsbury and Vincent-Young injury
- 10 WATCH as man calmly rips wooden gate off hinges before walking away
The college has worked closely with architects Pick Everard on the project and is also working with ISG, formerly ISG Jackson of Ipswich.
Ian Gifford, ISG managing director – East, said: “Reaching this important milestone in the build process provides the first glimpse of the overall scale of West Suffolk College’s ambitions to create an outstanding learning environment for the future.
“The scheme represents an excellent example of how early contractor engagement can ensure that the architectural integrity and environmental performance of a new building need not be compromised by budgetary constraints.
“Through efficient procurement and a lean construction methodology, ISG is on target to hand over a stunning new facility that will further enhance the college’s reputation for delivering high quality educational outcomes.”
The topping out ceremony takes place on Thursday, February 21.