Bury St Edmunds: New £7.5m college campus building dedication
- Credit: Archant
A TOPPING out ceremony is to be held later this month to dedicate an impressive new £7.5 million building on the main Bury St Edmunds campus of West Suffolk College.
A long awaited Further Education building will be completed in the next few months on a site alongside the college’s main car park, in Out Risbygate. The construction project is fully funded from college reserves and loan funding.
The main entrance to the college site has been redesigned to lead visitors to a reception area in the imposing new building.
This building will provide an impressive new gateway to the college, including complete remodelling of the frontage.
The FE building will house a new reception area and student services facilities, additional recreational space and more than 20 new classrooms and staff rooms.
Deputy principal David Howells said: “This building work will effect a transformation in the appearance of the campus and provide vastly improved facilities for students. The new arrangement will create a new focus for Further Education on campus and give UCS Bury St Edmunds a clear identity, in Suffolk House, as a hub of Higher Education.
“This development is part of the continued renewal of the West Suffolk College campus in Bury St Edmunds which, despite the withdrawal of Government funding, has continued on a regular basis in recent years.”
- 1 The most beautiful places to live in Suffolk - according to estate agents
- 2 Cash machines stolen in ram raid at Tesco in Brandon
- 3 Town set to appeal Morsy's FA charge
- 4 Weather warning in place for Suffolk as temperatures plunge below freezing
- 5 Serious fire breaks out at home in Woodbridge
- 6 'We want him to be effective' - McKenna on Celina
- 7 20th century former light railway station to be converted into properties
- 8 The Unruly Pig in Suffolk is named best gastropub in the UK
- 9 'It was too great a risk' - Ex Town defender Parr hangs up his boots
- 10 Ipswich man jailed for 25 years after teen left paralysed in shooting
The college has worked closely with architects Pick Everard on the project and is also working with ISG, formerly ISG Jackson of Ipswich.
Ian Gifford, ISG managing director – East, said: “Reaching this important milestone in the build process provides the first glimpse of the overall scale of West Suffolk College’s ambitions to create an outstanding learning environment for the future.
“The scheme represents an excellent example of how early contractor engagement can ensure that the architectural integrity and environmental performance of a new building need not be compromised by budgetary constraints.
“Through efficient procurement and a lean construction methodology, ISG is on target to hand over a stunning new facility that will further enhance the college’s reputation for delivering high quality educational outcomes.”
The topping out ceremony takes place on Thursday, February 21.