Bushtucker trial-style eating contest and fun run raise money for Bury St Edmunds hospice
- Credit: Archant
A fun run and a bushtucker trial-style eating contest helped two friends raise more than £2,000 for a Bury St Edmunds-based hospice.
Gordon Ross and Nick Foulger held the fundraising events at Walsham-le-Willows Sports Club in aid of St Nicholas Hospice Care.
The two events resulted in £2,490 being raised and a heavy downpour did not deter participants completing the 10k run on May 20.
Gordon said: “I was one of those taking part in the run and it was hard, it wasn’t made any easier by the rain, but we did it.
“My wife was cared for by the hospice, it is ten years since she passed away, but I will keep raising funds; we’re already planning for next year.”
Nick, whose father was cared for by the hospice, decided against pulling on his trainers and took part in an eating challenge, with crickets, African mealworms, pig’s ears and locusts on the menu.
He said: “I volunteered to do an eating challenge and it was up to Gordon to find the stuff for me to eat.
- 1 Man with foot fetish jailed for sexually assaulting women
- 2 Nine Ipswich players who could follow Nsiala out the door this month
- 3 Van driver in his 20s dies in Elmswell crash
- 4 Road near A14 closed after 'serious' two-vehicle crash
- 5 'Versatile, hungry, athletic and technical' - McKenna on new signing Bakinson
- 6 See inside £1.25m bungalow for sale in one of Suffolk's 'poshest' villages
- 7 'I'm not bothered... he can go' - Pearson on Town target Bakinson
- 8 Town working on loan deal for Bristol City midfielder
- 9 Flood alert issued for parts of Suffolk coastline
- 10 Village hall treasurer jailed after stealing cash to help his business
“I have done it before and to be honest I quite enjoy it.”
The pair handed over the funds to the hospice on Friday.
Charlie De-Moore, hospice events fundraiser, said: “We are so grateful to Gordon and Nick for their support and everyone who took part in the fun run and watched Nick’s eating challenge.
“A big thank you to the sports club for their support too. To have raised such a brilliant amount is fantastic and we are so grateful for everyone’s continued support.”