Adnams urged to add Red Tractor logo to its labels
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2016
The boss of Southwold brewer Adnams has agreed to consider putting the “Red Tractor” logo on its beer bottles to strengthen the link between consumers and barley growers.
Adnams chief executive Andy Wood told delegates at the Norfolk Farming Conference that the “value chain” was very important to the company and it had built long-term relationships with its barley growers and maltsters.
Essex farmer and conference chairman Guy Smith, who is vice president of the National Farmers’ Union, challenged Mr Wood to underline this by using the logo of the UK’s leading farm and quality food assurance scheme.
Mr Smith said: “Red Tractor is the scheme under which the vast majority of the barley you use will have been grown, but sometimes farmers get frustrated that there is not enough consumer awareness of Red Tractor.
“When farmers go to the extra expense of producing an assured product in a responsible way, then the manufacturers need to do their bit to promote that to their consumers.”
You may also want to watch:
Asked if he would include the Red Tractor on Adnams’ packaging, Mr Wood replied: “I think we would. I have not got a problem with that, but I have got a list of things that I would like to put on the bottle. But if we can fit it on, we will do it.
“We talk very publicly about our barley growers’ group and we are very proud of telling this story about our value chain.
- 1 Body of man, 22, found in River Orwell
- 2 Aldi targets Felixstowe, Saxmundham and Sudbury for new stores
- 3 'Kind and loving' husband-to-be dies of lymphoma aged 27
- 4 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 5 Pub near Stowmarket closes temporarily due to Covid-19 case
- 6 Former Town assistant Taylor back in football
- 7 265 new homes set to be built off A14 at Stowmarket
- 8 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 9 Pair arrested for alleged sex assault on young woman
- 10 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
“Why would we hide a story about having these wonderful growers growing barley in the nation’s bread basket?”