Aerospace engineering firm scoops MoD contract
- Credit: Archant
A Sudbury aerospace engineering firm has scooped a new four-year contract with the Ministry of Defence (MoD).
MEL Aviation won a bid worth £470,000 to design organisation support, spares, repair and post design services (PDS) to aircraft dehumidifiers for the Air Support, Air Commodities Project Team based at MoD-Bristol UK.
They will be used to provide the ambient climate required to keep military aircraft in optimal condition and flight-ready.
The company will act as the co-ordinating design organisation (CDO) by providing maintenance, repair and spares for the Royal Air Force. It will also produce design records, air publications, equipment safety cases and design certificates to support the contract.
Managing director Gary Harvey said they were “thrilled” to have been awarded the key contract.
You may also want to watch:
“We are constantly developing new and improved repair, maintenance and overhaul services to help to keep both the civil and military aviation sectors working seamlessly and this is another example of one of our recent successes,” he said.
“Dehumidification is critical for aircraft environments today and so an essential part of storage and maintenance operations for the armed forces. Aircraft are usually stored with fuel and avionics systems in place and for this reason rely on a controlled dry air dehumidified environment to keep them ready for flight.”
- 1 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 2 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 3 Town take up contract options on duo with plenty of departures still expected
- 4 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 5 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 6 Search for man after girl, 10, accosted at B&M store in Stowmarket
- 7 Chambers and Skuse to leave Ipswich Town
- 8 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 9 Mark Heath: The Town players Cook should keep and release today
- 10 CCTV issued after thieves steal almost £900 in toys and food from B&M
MEL Aviation has a long and ongoing relationship with the MoD, supplying it with a wide range of design, manufacture, repair and overhaul services.
“We will continue to strive to be the contractor of choice for the MOD,” said Mr Harvey.
Long-term aircraft storage and maintenance is a complex process, as without the right, controlled environment, an aircraft can potentially require thousands of man-hours to return it to flight-worthiness.
The MEL Group designs and makes ground support equipment and airborne components, and repairs and overhauls civil and military aerospace and defence products.