Wilko stores set to stay open during lockdown
- Credit: Archant
All 416 Wilko stores across the UK will remain open during lockdown, the retailer has announced.
The chain – which has stores throughout East Anglia including Norwich and Ipswich – said it was remaining open “so families can easily and safely shop for the non-food essentials they need”.
The stores sell a range of items including baby care, cleaning, hardware and DIY, health and personal care, household and pet care products.
But shoppers are being encouraged to buy its non-essential items, such as Christmas gifts and decorations, furniture and hobby products online once a second English national lockdown is in place from Thursday, November 4, to December 2.
MORE – Ex-boss who ‘almost died twice’ after contracting virus gets back on track with life coaching businessThe majority of Wilko stores are based on the high streets of small towns, making them easily accessible to local communities as part of their daily exercise, the company said.
Wilko chief executive Jerome Saint-Marc said: “Not everyone has a large supermarket nearby to get the non-food essentials they need for their family. With 17 million people living within 2km of a Wilko store we can help fulfil this need.”
You may also want to watch:
Safety of customers and staff would be a “top priority”, he added.
- 1 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 2 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 3 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
- 4 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 5 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 6 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 7 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 8 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 9 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 10 Plans to convert pub into block of holiday lets withdrawn