Argos owner Home Retail Group agrees £340m sales of Homebase to Australian group Wesfarmers
- Credit: Archant
Argos owner Home Retail Group, which is being pursued by supermarket Sainsbury’s, has agreed to sell DIY chain Homebase to Australian conglomerate Wesfarmers for £340million.
The Australian supermarkets-to-industrials firm plans to rebrand Homebase’s 265 UK stores under the Bunnings fascia, its domestic DIY chain.
Home Retail said it expects to complete the deal, subject to shareholder approval, in the first three months of this year.
John Coombe, chairman of Home Retail, said: “We believe that this is the best deal for shareholders and for the business. Wesfarmers is an experienced and successful retailer with exciting plans to invest in and grow their presence in the UK through Homebase.”
Wesfarmers managing director Richard Goyder said: “The £38bn UK home improvement and garden market is a large and growing market with strong fundamentals.
You may also want to watch:
“The opportunity to enter this attractive market through the acquisition of Homebase has been comprehensively researched and carefully considered by Wesfarmers and Bunnings.”
Sainsbury’s revealed earlier this month that it had made an initial approach for £1.3bn-rated Home Retail, which was rebuffed in November. The supermarket has until February 2 to make a formal offer for the group.
- 1 Ipswich Town face fight to keep young midfielder Gibbs with rivals Norwich among interested clubs
- 2 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Portsmouth 'fend off' Blues to agree Stockley deal
- 4 Woman seriously injured in accident on major Ipswich road
- 5 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 6 'Spooky' bushes full of caterpillars spotted near Suffolk roads
- 7 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'consider £350k bid' for keeper
- 8 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 9 'Absolutely the right manager for this football club' - Ashton backs Cook to turn Town around
- 10 Construction work begins on TV set ahead of Amazon series filming
Homebase was originally founded by Sainsbury’s as a joint venture with Belgian retailer GB-Inno-BM in 1979 as Sainsbury’s Homebase. The supermarket sold the DIY business in 2000 for £969m and its current interst in Home Retail Group is thought to centre on the Argos business.