Ashtons Legal to merge its offices in Bury St Edmunds and Thetford
- Credit: Archant
East Anglian law firm Ashtons Legal has unveiled plans for a new office in the heart of the region, replacing a number of smaller branches.
Partners and staff at the firm’s office in Guildhall Street, Bury St Edmunds, will relocate later this year to a newly-converted barn at Fornham Business Court, just outside the town.
And those currently based at the Ashtons Legal office in Thetford will also transfer to the new site next year, following the construction of a purpose-designed building for which planning consent has just been granted.
Ashtons Legal currently has 85 people in Guildhall Street and 67 in Thetford. The firm also previously had a second office in Bury, in Kempson Way, which it vacated last year with staff being relocated to its other offices around the region.
The firm says the new combined office will complement its presence in Ipswich, Norwich and Cambridge and reflects a future commitment to Bury.
You may also want to watch:
Edward O’Rourke, chief executive at Ashtons, said: “This is an exciting step for us. The new modern offices will be able to accommodate up to 160 people at any one time.
“We currently have around 350 staff across East Anglia and expect to continue to grow steadily, with Bury being a good central location in which to base some teams.
- 1 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 QPR trigger buy-out clause to sign Dozzell for £1m
- 5 Gill has 'no regrets' over Norwich to Ipswich switch
- 6 'I'll always have love for Ipswich, but it was time to move on' - Dozzell signs for QPR
- 7 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 8 Tim Hortons restaurant in Ipswich given green light
- 9 Mum of 'beautiful' Lily calls for young people to have their hearts tested
- 10 Teenage county lines drug dealer handed suspended prison sentence
“By the time the project is complete we will also have 150 parking spaces, which will benefit clients and employees alike, particularly as the centre of Bury St Edmunds continues to get busier in light of the additional residential development.
“We are, however, aware that a small minority of our clients usually come to us on foot or by public transport and will ensure that we put arrangements in place to continue to meet their needs.”
Ashtons Legal will lease the units at the Fornham Business Court, joining other tenants including outdoor adventure operator Go Ape!
The business centre, located behind Hall Farm in Fornham St Martin, is owned by Andrew and Gina Long.
Mrs Long said: “In their new location, Ashtons will initially occupy the sympathetically restored Suffolk Long Barn and this will be quickly followed by a further bespoke office block.
“The finished complex will have significant private parking for clients and employees on the edge of Bury St Edmunds yet with the benefit of a beautiful countryside environment. Andrew and I, along with the other tenants at FBC, look forward to welcoming Ashtons in the coming months.”
The first Ashtons Legal staff are likely to arrive on the site in June with the new building due to be ready for occupation in mid-2019.