Aspall, Hughes and Coes among firms in running for regional Family Business of the Year title
Suffolk cider producer Aspall, which was named Business of the Year in last year’s East Anglian Daily Times Business Awards, is now in contention
for another regional honour.
The business, established in the village of Aspall, near Debenham, in 1728 by Clement Chevallier. and now run by the eighth generation of the family, is one of 10 firms nominated in the East Anglia round of the Family Business of the Year contest.
Aspall won the Family Business category of the 2014 EADT Business Awards, which was sponsored by regional law firm Birketts, and then went on to beat off competition from the other category winners to claim the overall Business of the Year title, sponsored by EDF Energy and Suffolk Chamber of Commerce.
Also in the running for the 2015 Family Business of the Year contest in East Anglia are the two runners up in the Family Business category of last year’s EADT awards – Dynamic Fireworks, from Stanway, near Colchester, and Phillips Brothers (Woodshavings), from Raydon, near Hadleigh.
You may also want to watch:
Three other Suffolk firms are also among those nominated – C & K Meats from Eye, electrical retailer Hughes, based in Lowestoft. and fashion retailer Coes, based in Ipswich.
Completing the line-up are Fairfields Farm Crisps from Wormingford, near Colchester, Allen & Page Horse Feeds from Shipdham, near Thetford, James Beck Auctions from Fakenham, Norfolk, and hardware retailer Biggars of Bailgate, from Lincoln.
- 1 Ipswich U18s fall to second-half Liverpool goals - how the FA Youth Cup semi-final unfolded....
- 2 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 3 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 4 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 5 Former judge's widow on trial for sex abuse of young boy in 1980s
- 6 Stuart Watson's Verdict: Judge Chambers and Skuse's legacy by what their peers said
- 7 'I loved my time here... I should have stayed' - Former loanee Jeffers back with Town in coaching role
- 8 'The manager has to impose his will... we'll give him the resources to do that' - Detmer on Cook's transfer funds
- 9 Woman taken to hospital after being hit by car
- 10 'Larger-than-life' Ipswich drama teacher Gloria Henshall dies
The Family Business of the Year competition is being run by the website www.familybusinessunited.com and will culminate with a ceremony in London on June 11. The selection process involves a combination of a public vote, which is open until the end of April, and a judging panel.
The 2015 EADT Business Awards, which will again be supported by EDF Energy and Suffolk Chamber as joint main sponsors, are due to be launched in mid-February.