Olympic gold medalist Bethany Shriever opens new Colchester Aldi
- Credit: Tim Kavanagh
Olympic gold medalist Bethany Shriever helped cut the ribbon today to open a new Aldi shop in Colchester.
The olympian, who won the women's BMX racing contest in Tokyo, was joined by a group of children from Friars Grove Primary School, and a member of the Colchester Aldi team who is battling cancer.
Store assistant Marie King was given the opportunity to open the store by the manager in order to commend her courage as she goes through treatment.
Store manager Karl Mitchell said: “It’s been a wonderful morning here at the opening of Aldi Colchester. It was lovely to welcome our customers into the new store, and I look forward to meeting more of the community in the coming weeks.
"I’m also thrilled that we’ve been able to support Friars Grove Primary School through our partnership with Team GB.”
Team GB hero Bethany Shriever added: “I’ve had a fantastic time opening the new Aldi this morning. It was an honour to officially open the store and welcome customers inside for the first time.
“It was great to speak with the children at Friars Grove Primary School about the importance of eating healthily and how it can be fun to plan and prepare meals as a family.
- 1 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 2 New landlord hopes to make Suffolk pub 'centre' of village community
- 3 Seven players who could leave Ipswich Town this summer
- 4 A14 westbound reopens after crash caused 7 miles of delays
- 5 Is this tearoom near Ipswich one of Suffolk’s best-kept secrets?
- 6 Conveyor belt which carried pig carcases across Suffolk A-road is demolished
- 7 Mercedes and Vauxhall flip over after crash in busy Ipswich road
- 8 Boy, 10, asked to get in car by two men near Sudbury
- 9 Woman freed from vehicle after car overturns near to shops
- 10 Boss McKenna on Town's 'challenging and important' pre-season schedule
"Hopefully I’ve also managed to inspire the pupils to keep active and try different sports.”
The new store is on Stane Retail Park, Western Approach, in Stanway,