Where do you think new water fountains should be?
- Credit: Archant
Colchester is looking to turn back the clock and re-introduce water fountains in the town.
There used to be water fountains in the town, including in Castle Park, but they fell into disuse.
Now, as part of the town’s pledge to cut on back plastic, providing water fountains in public places is back on the agenda.
Colchester Borough Council has asked Colchester Borough Homes to come with a set of suggested locations, during November, and come up with a feasibility study.
They are looking for up to five locations, including possibly bringing old fountains back into use.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor David King said: “We want more residents and visitors to join the Refill revolution, to move away from single use plastic bottles and to keep healthy and hydrated.
“I know the water fountains will be received as practical, helpful and welcoming. I hope that this can also include a revival of our older water fountains.
- 1 'We're working tirelessly... I'm hopeful of new signings fairly shortly' - Town CEO Ashton on transfers
- 2 Ipswich Town's 2021/22 League One fixtures revealed as Blues start at home
- 3 Ipswich home transformed on BBC's Homes Under the Hammer
- 4 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 5 Man arrested after more than 80 vehicles checked on day of action
- 6 Sam Smith spotted in Suffolk - and could be recording a new album
- 7 Police unlock county lines drug dealer's phone with first guess at password
- 8 Country inn acquired from Jamie Oliver's parents reopens following facelift
- 9 A12 reopens after three-vehicle crash
- 10 Kesgrave shooting: Judge tells jury majority verdict allowed
“We need to take every opportunity we can to make the most of our history and our heritage. Our Better Colchester campaign is helping make this happen and I am proud we’re taking this action.”
Once the feasibility study is complete, it is intended to have the new fountains up and running by the summer 2019.
Some of the site may require planning permission.
Where do you think new water fountains for the use of the public in Colchester should be located?
In the High Street perhaps, by the library or in Castle Park?